Monday 11 April 2016

Messages of Hate (and Love)


Friday morning, when I got to Melbourne University the day seemed the same as ever. It was cold, it was early, and there wasn't too many people around. But as I began to look down, it was then that I saw it. The words. Chalked all around the campus of Parkville. The Messages of Hate.

"Freedom of Speech"

"Stop the Mosques"


I was mortified.
I thought that here, of all places, would be free from this discrimination. With around 27.1% of the Universities population sourced from international students (2014, source), most likely an increasing number, it's strange to think that we hate our classmates and friends.

The truth is, we don't. 
Not in the slightest.


The graffiti was quickly removed.
I told my friends to take other routes, to spare them the view.
The entire school was discussing it.
Some people were quite distressed, and rightly so.
Because in this place, where all are welcome, and all are loved, suddenly they were not.

But as always with these sort of occurrences, something amazing seems to happen.

We rise up against it.



And on this Monday morning, I did not walk in to find messages of hate, but rather messages of love.

"All Are Welcome"

"We Are One"


- Michelle


The University of Melbourne will be holding a "Chalk For Diversity" Day on Tuesday 11th of April 2016 to combat the events of Friday. You can find this event on their Student Union Facebook Page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment